Thursday, August 20, 2009

I never thought I would appreciate "Kaminapan" one day....

Why is "Kaminey" so good? Well you tell me. Take the most overused, outdated formula of Hindi Cinema - Judwaa Bhai (Twin brothers); dare to make a movie on that theme for today's multiplex generation and yet turn it into such an enjoyable ride that you yearn for more. Now if that is not incredible and supremely innovative - then you tell me what it is. It's a "coming out of the age" movie for Bollywood. I did expect this from Vishal Bharadwaj; especially after watching his previous movies - Omkara and Maqbool - two gems of Hindi cinema. And he outdid himself.

Kaminey has a strong script, witty dialogs, great music and marvelous acting from everybody including those assistant henchmen. It's visually stunning, dark at times, and most importantly funny - not overdoing the jokes. Take "Chalie's dream" for example - a masterful visual - and horse's sound in sync with Charlie's shout. Only a director with a heart to create something daring, original and new could come up with such subtle style. Now hold on - are you going to snag me when I say "original"? Are you going to quote Tarantino or Ritchie here? Get it right guys: there is nothing wrong in being inspired by some of these great Hollywood directors. Even though I agree the plot formation and specially the style of the climax may look similar to Ritchie's "Lock, Stock and Two smoking barrels"; there is nothing that you can term as "rip-off". At least nobody is stealing scene-by-scene from a foreign film and claiming it to be "original idea" like some of those shameless movie makers.

Shahid Kapoor - wow, I am now convinced - he is the new generation of Bollywood heroes. Mind blowing in both the roles of the movie. Priyanka - very cute, funny and lovable. And the villains - I strongly believe it is the villains that makes a movie more enjoyable. And in this case; there are plenty of them - and interestingly many of them (well almost all) are funny. They did a great job to keep the movie thrilling till the end. And whatever you have to say, I liked the ending. Perfect climax for a movie like this.

I am very happy and hopeful to see fresh ideas being tried in Bollywood. And directors like Vishal can really make a difference. Hope to see more "Kamineys" in coming days!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

dude, after your review, I am planning to watch it soon. Nice review. Great.

Rag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rag said...

great review!! i dropppped in after seeing a bangalorean'a name on the list of Reviewers awards on CNN iBN!
congratulatios!
am a great fan pf masand!

this is my site!: www.talkingpopcorns.com

Unknown said...

What a coincidence, as I too mentioned about Kaminey in my review along with Inglorious Bassterds...this movie is one of the beautiful movie of the year 2009, u can say a pioneer in bollywood in setting such trend.