Sunday, January 31, 2010

The F-generation : The world of the F-word

No I am not talking about Fantastic, Fabulous, Fascinating, Fuzzy or Funny. I mean the original "F" word; the one and only; the king of words - THE F-word. The other day, I was completing my quota of weekend shopping, one of my favorite pass-times. Suddenly I did hear some yelling and turned my head to see one gentleman being very mad at one of the sales-guys apparently over the design of some under-garments the guy was showing him. And everytime, he talked to the guy; he was using the F-word - loud and clear as if he was not sure himself why he was yelling; but just wanted others to hear he can use the F-word publicly in an Indian mall. After all he was a smart man. I couldn't look at the face of that helpless sales-boy; he had no idea why he was being bullied. And the man's wife; visibly red-faced at her husband's behaviour, was pinching him hard and looking all around. Poor lady - she didn't know how smart, open and modern her husband was !!!

Well you have to agree; this is one of the most beautiful words in English language. And undoubtedly the biggest American contributions to the world. Don't get me wrong; Global warming, Atom bombs, Talibs are also fine contributions - but nothing is so poetic, so popular, so catchy, so charming than this one. When the natives first landed on American soil; the first words that must have come out their mouths must be, "F***, we got ya." And that's it; like a fire in the jungle, it spread and in no time, it took over the whole world. It’s not hard to appreciate the widely spread popularity of the word given that the F-word can be used in almost every context one can think of. I remember watching one stand up comedian once elaborating various usage of the word in English language. I can't remember his name now; but I, myself, can think of number of situations where I use the word everyday life. And everytime I use it, it gets  me a soothing, satisfying feeling as if I have done something special, something magical !!! I can use it to express my exhilaration, for example, "I am feeling F*****g great man!!". Or my sadness, "I am F*****d up."; when mad at someone, "Go F*** yourself, you a******". Exclamation, "Wow!! F******g cool." Astonishment/Desperation, "What the F***?". Aggression, "Come on, you F***." And yes, sometimes it can be used literally also. Well, the list goes on. In any situation, in any mood, just say the word; say it loud-say it clear and feel it growing in you.

MTV-generation is so 80's. We should say we are the F-generation. Welcome to the new world; the world of F-word.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Keep up the nice content, put to my opera rss.